Saturday, June 22, 2013

Two raised beds, a little rain, a little sun and some much needed love....

When I was trying to figure out what to grow in my two beds it I had a tough choice at hand. There was so much I wanted to grow and with some things out of rotation from the previous year I was running into a wall a great frustration. In the 4X4 box I planted peas, cabbage (I will talk more about this later), carrots and romaine. In the 4X8 box I planted beans, sunflowers, eggplant, spaghetti squash, peppers and cucumbers.

As a gardening its so hard to plant something from seed and then realizing when its growing, that you really didn't want to grow that or it was taking up more room than you anticipated, that you end up pulling it out of the ground. Its a nightmare for me and it took many days, weeks even before I got the gall to just grab the ill growing cabbage from the ground and pull it out. I though maybe it I gave it more time, it would turn to a nicely rounded shape, but it was stubborn and did everything but. So with a sad heart I pulled it out. The spot sits empty and I just don't know what to plant there instead. Its been a week since my massacre and I do admit some guilt there.

However there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I decided to put a tomato in its place. As much as I love tomatoes we have a love/hate relationship. I love to grow them and they hate to grow for me. As always, go big or go home so I went with an heirloom variety. A pineapple tomato that's a meaty 1 pound variety. I am looking forward to enjoying some slices of these babies...maybe my luck will change this year with my battle of the tomatoes.




No comments:

Post a Comment