Monday, September 30, 2013

Sun and seed equals Mammoth sunflowers

Fall is here with winter on its heals and while I am sad to see my warm air and bright sun go. I am looking forward to hot cocoa, pumpkin everything and the leaves turning color. I did have a good time relishing in the last bits of summer, especially while chopping down the last of my sunflowers.
 
They were ready to be harvested and my tummy was ready to enjoy the tasty tidbits that were hiding just inside the shells. I had about 7 Mammoth sunflowers heads and placed them all on the picnic table along with a large bowl for the seeds, a knife, gloves (the sunflowers tend to be sappy) and some tunes (a good beat to get you in the working mood).
 
Step 1. Remove the individual flowers
 
Step 2. Rub, peel, scrape or pick off the sunflower seeds
 
Step 3. Rinse in bowl with water and get off the nasty bits.
Then soak in a heavy salt brine overnight.

Step 4. Remove from brine and let them air dry (I used a colander).
 
Step 5. Put into a new bowl and have fun being your own mixing master!
 
 Ok this is where it gets fun, if you weren't having fun already. ;) I looked up a lot of seasoning recipes, but I went with what I knew. Good 'ole Johnny's caesar garlic spread seasoning. However, no matter what you use to season with, you will want to add a good amount of oil. I used EVOO (Extra virgin olive oil), but you can use sunflower, grapeseed, etc. I would stay away from vegetable, corn, soy or canola, etc. Mainly because they do not have good flavor when cooked and their health benefits are less than. Add some additional sea salt, but not too much. Mix it all and let it sit a bit to let it all meld together.
 
While your waiting on it to marinate, turn the oven on at 300 degrees. Use a cookie sheet and some parchment paper, if you don't have parchment you can use foil, the sheet itself, a baking mat, etc. Spread the sunflower seeds evenly and try not to have them stacked on top of each other, this is what gives it the "roasted" affect. Put into the oven for 30-45min. Halfway through flip the seeds over so the other side gets some roasting done. Let them cool and then enjoy the nutty yumminess! Mine lasted maybe 3 weeks. I guess I will be growing more next year...LOL. This will work with pumpkin seeds as well. Granted I didn't grow any this year, but I will be doing it with the ones that I pick up from the pumpkin patch. Enjoy all and happy seeding! =)
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment